Monday, April 11, 2011

Bethenny



This week I decided to watch Bethenny Ever After, which is a spin off of the Real Housewives of NYC, but much better. The Bravo! show follows the life of Bethenny Frankel (the creator of skinny girl margarita), her husband Jason Hoppy and their daughter Bryn.

Bethenny was always one of my favorite personalities on RHONYC so I was excited to hear that she got her own show. She is extremely witty and sarcastic and her commentary is always hilarious. Also, after watching one episode the viewer can tell that she definitely wears the pants in the relationship.

In this episode, Bethenny, Jason, Bryn and their dog, Cookie, take a trip to visit Jason’s parents in a small town in Pennsylvania. The trip to get there proves to be a nightmare and it takes them forever to just get out of the city. Once they finally arrive, it is clear how excited the grandparents are to see Bryn. They hint at wanting to see her more often. Jason loves his family dearly and would seemingly be happy to visit them every weekend, but Bethenny feels very differently. She expresses her strong feelings that they do not visit more than once a month. I couldn’t believe how open she was about this topic in front of Jason’s parents. To me, it seemed fairly rude and somewhat thoughtless (Plus the fact that I could never imagine being so blunt in front of my mother and father in law). Jason becomes visibly upset by Bethenny’s lack of regard for his parents feelings. Things end up getting settled but there certainly was some tension.

The episode also features Bethenny going out to get drinks with Jason’s friends from his past. She thinks that they’re a group of characters, but thinks they’re great, nonetheless. They are extremely welcoming with Bethenny and offer to include her in their “family.” Bethenny is touched by this outreach especially because of her own family life, or lack there of.

Overall, I enjoyed the show. Bethenny is hilarious and I’m happy that she was given her own spinoff. I think it could be interesting to see how this show does ratings wise compared to a Real Housewives series, specifically, RHONYC.

2 comments:

  1. I have never seen this particular show. It sounds interesting and I look forward to seeing Cookie, the dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I've seen commercials for this show on Bravo while I watching Top Chef, but I've never actually watched it. I've also never seen any of the Real Housewives, so would someone who has never seen that series be able to like something like this? I just don't like shows that follow people who have to create drama everywhere they go; though with your write up, this doesn't seem too much like that. Maybe I'll give it a try one of these days.

    ReplyDelete