Friday, March 4, 2011

30 Rock




So I just watched the pilot of 30 Rock, after being advised to for the longest time, and I am so mad at myself for not watching the show earlier. I think through this experience thus far, I have learned that I am a picky TV show picker. By that I mean that I am picky about what TV shows I choose to pick up. I think I often have misconceptions about the premises of certain shows, incorrectly judge them, and thus lack the motivation to ever watch them. That being said, I don’t think that I am a particularly picky TV show watcher because once I eventually watch the show, I have found that more often than not, I enjoy it.

30 Rock was surprisingly entertaining for me. I don’t even know why it was surprising to me given the all-star cast, but I unexpectedly really liked it. Liz Lemon, played by Tina Fey seems to be the character that the show revolves around. Tracy Jordan was probably my favorite character followed closely by Liz Lemon, however, the funny parts of the show were certainly not limited to scenes with just those character.

I think that part of the reason why the show is so successful is that not only is it funny, but it seems to attack common stereotypes. In this episode alone, it could be argued that race gender, class, and disability stereotypes were all addressed. Additionally, these stereotypes are addressed using humor as a means to expose them. Being able to laugh at stereotypes suggests a certain sense of cultural awareness and this show certainly encourages that.

Overall I loved 30 Rock and could definitely see myself watching it again. Two thumbs up!

As an extra for this week, here's the preview of an episode that contains a scene that is a favorite of many of my friends which they incessantly quote: 

No comments:

Post a Comment